From September 29th – October 8th the worlds top gymnasts will take part in the 47th World Gymnastics Championships in Montreal, Canada. More than 450 gymnasts representing 72 nations will compete at the event. We have put together the below information so that your gymnasts can get organised to watch some of the best gymnasts in the world compete!
This will be an Individual competition only, meaning there will be no Team event. Medals and titles on individual apparatus and All Around placings are only available for the 2017 edition.
The top 8 scoring gymnasts in qualification will earn places in the Apparatus finals while the top 24 scoring gymnasts will also advanced to the All Around finals. A 2 per country rule applies, meaning only 2 gymnasts from the same country may advanced even if 3 have placed within the top 8/24.
Ireland at World Championships
This year Ireland will be represented on the Men’s side only with Rhys McClenaghan and Andrew Smith competing. Rhys is a pro on the Pommel Horse while Andrew is known for his excellent tumbling on floor in particular. Best of luck to Team Ireland!
Montreal is currently 5 hours behind Irish time.
- October 2nd – 3rd Men’s Qualification
- October 4th – 5th Women’s Qualification
- October 5th – Men’s All Around Final 7pm – 10pm (edt) / 12am – 3 am (ist)
- October 6th – Women’s All Around Final 7pm – 9pm (edt) / 12am – 2am (ist)
- October 7th – Men’s Floor, Pommel Horse and Still Rings and Women’s Bars and Vault final 1pm – 4pm (edt) / 4pm – 7pm (ist)
- October 8th – Men’s High Bar, Vault and Parallel Bars and Women’s Beam and Floor final 1pm – 4pm (edt) / 4pm – 7pm (ist)
TV / Online Schedule
- Thursday 5th October – BBC 2, 00.15 (Friday morning) – 03.00 Men’s all-around final
- Friday 6th October – BBC 2, 13.45 – 15.15 Highlights men’s all-around final
- Friday 6th October – BBC 2, 00.05 (Saturday morning) – 03.00 Women’s all-around final
- Saturday 7th October – BBC 1, 13.15 – 14.45 Highlights women’s all-around final
- Saturday 7th October – Red button and online, 18.30 – 21.00 Apparatus finals day one
- Sunday 8th October – BBC 2, 15.00 – 17.00 Highlights of apparatus finals day one
- Sunday 8th October – Red button and online, 18.00- 21.00 Apparatus finals day two
- Monday 9th October – BBC 2,13.45 – 15.15 Highlights of apparatus finals day two
The Men’s and Women’s All-Around and individual event finals live on Youtube. Links to the livestream will be shared on the FIG Facebook and Twitter accounts before the competition begins. A highlight package will be uploaded to the FIG Youtube channel each day, while qualification routines from each athlete will be made available after the competition: youtube.com/gymnasticschanne